Monday, July 11, 2011

"...for your offering is acceptable to me'

I have pondered the great impact that returned missionaries have in this region. I believe that 70% of the district and branch leaders are returned missionaries. You ask how that can be with these peoples circumstances but the Lord has made a way for this to be true. There are 130 young missionaries in the Ghana Accra Mission, over 70% are from different parts of Africa. The picture below showing two young boys with the Elders along their side are both from Africa. The one in white is from Nigeria, Elder Celu, The one that is dressed is from Western Ghana, Elder Nkestiah. They both serve in Konongo which is the northern most reaches of the mission. They are both converts to the church and have felt the call of the Prophet. They serve faithfully because of honor, commitment, and duty. I have watch them grow and seen the change in their lives as they carry the message to all that will listen. These two young men that are being baptized are referrals from a great family in Domenbra. This is a small village some 40 minutes to the NE of Konongo. When the father was asked if his two sons could be baptized into the church, he said" I am glad to see that they are on the Lords side. They are good boys and I brought them into this world and I want to do my best with Gods help to raise them clean and pure." Their parents are now being taught and the boys have lead the way. Elder Celu was truly touched and saw the hand of the Lord in this contact. When Elder Celu and Elder Nkestiah return with honor to their branches, they will be leaders among their people and this because of their dedicated service to the Lord. These and other missionaries do not have the luxury of showers, or washing machines, of ovens or microwaves, of extra clothes or 12 ties. They wash in buckets, iron with older hot irons, shower with buckets, usealy cold water, cook on hot plates, and yet are so excited to do the Lords work. They are always clean, with white pressed shirts. Never a complaint, never a discouraging word or murmuring. They walk in the rain and sometimes even ride their bikes long distances to small villages to teach those that want the truth. They miss meals, they leave early and get home late in the dark. All because they Love the Lord and have responed to the beckoned call of the Prophet. I am humbled as I associate with this mighty army of Helaman. I have been taught by their example and testimonies. Their offering is all their life and then some.

The lower picture is of a short man who is a leader in the Asunofo Branch. He was born and raised in that village. He is now the 1st councilor in the Branch Presidency, brother George Obeng. He is small in stature yet mighty in Spirit. He was baptized in 1998- the only member in his family. He was young and acted upon the truth he felt from the Book of Mormon. He was determined to serve a mission to thank the Lord for the gift he had received. He worked hard as a farmers helper and carried block for building new building at night to save the money to serve. "I worked hard to show the Lord I loved him and wanted to serve a mission to bring the truth to others." He would fall in bed at night totally exhausted and his family ridiculed him for his efforts and goal. He persisted and in 2000 he received a call from the Lord to serve in Nigeria. This mighty missionary, all 4'8" of pure love for the work, 1 shirt, 1 pair of borrowed pants, a used tie and his scriptures over his shoulder in a homemade bag, began his trek to Nigeria from Ghana. It was long and hard but arrived at his appointed time and place as outlined. Once washed and clothes cleaned he was hard at work doing the Lords business. In his own words, "I baptized many many people who were prepared for His teachings. Some poor some rich some old some young. They were all Fathers children and I needed to remind them of their per-earth life heritage. When they realized they were of royal birth and they were chosen to hold the restored Priesthood of God, they were baptized into His church. I was just an instrument in the Lords work". Sister Dalton and I have visited less active members with Brother George and have witnessed his strong commitment to bring all of Fathers sheep into the fold. He stands strait and true as he bears fervent testimony to those he sheppards. He truly is a giant spiritual leader prepared for his area and bears the authority of God honorably and humbly. His "offering" 10 years ago has prepared him for his continued offering to this day.
You might think his lot is hard for he still has only 1 white shirt, 1 pair of pants, 3 ties and a pair of sandals for Sundays; no stove, no running water, no windows, no shower, no washing machine, no refrigerator and has not married yet. Once again in his own words," when I returned home from my mission, I flew on a plane. I had never seen one before and it was exciting. I flew into Accra and no one was there to greet me. I went to the mission home and asked If I could stay the night so I could be a part of the Accra Temple ground breaking the next day. It was a joyous occasion indeed. I cried as I shook the Prophets hand. He read my soul and drew me to his breast- I shall never forget that moment," With tears streaming down his check, "but the best part of Fathers blessing to me was taking all of my family to that Temple 3 years later after I baptized them all!!!!"
We serve with giants here and we are so thankful for the love Father continually showers on us. Oh how glorious it is to be in this land! The Spirit of the Ghana Temple shines over this people, that I testify.

No comments:

Post a Comment