Thursday, February 9, 2012

"First the rich and the learned..."

I first met Samuel Dwamena while attending a funeral of an elderly woman who had passed away. He was dressed in traditional robes and setting with the village dignitaries. This time he was asked to come to the District Office for a visit with me by the Elders. He is thin with leathered skin from the sun. His hair is short and greying. He walks upright with head held high and with confidence. We set and I prayed for the Spirit to teach us. I asked of his family- married for 52 years and 6 children, 2 girls and 4 boys. He his educated and speaks English very well, his hands are softer than most of the town. I asked what his occupation was and with a bit of understanding of the traditions and culture of this area, he spoke of his responsibility to choose the Chiefs of this bush area. He was the person who searched for Chief replacements. He was authorized to install village leaders according to tradition and culture of his people. He also was depended upon by the communities to settle disputes over land boundaries and family challenges. Revered as an honest and fair man by so many in the area, and with his honorable appointment from the people, the 58th section of the Doctrine and Covenants came to mind. Being bold, I asked if I may read from the scriptures about why I am here with him this humid evening. We opened the scritures and read of the supper the Lord was inviting him to. “…the rich and the learned, the wise and the noble,” “Samuel, if I may be so bold, I am here to invite you to a feast with the Lord. He who governs all of the earth desires men like you who will work to bring the Kingdom of God into this people’s lives.” He sat direct and peered into my eyes as he pondered the words I had just spoken. “I have a desire to be a part of that feast”, he said. “I have not been baptized in my life and believe your invitation is of God.” He rehearsed the missionary’s first two lessons and how his reading of the Book of Mormon had enlightened his feelings of an Eternal God. That very moment the Holy Ghost distilled upon our minds as we sat knee to knee in conversation. I recalled his comments of choosing the village chief and the scriptures of Mosiah 2 came to thought. “Samuel, would you read with me of a most honorable king in the Book of Mormon who has set a pattern for all kings, chiefs, and magistrates who humbly and properly rule with the Lords help? I know you would be most interested for your appointing of a village Chief is most important for your people as you shoulder that responsibility of searching ones heart to place in such a position.” He opened his Book of Mormon and taking turns with each verse, together we read verses 11-19. He once again looked into my eyes and asked where this noble king had lived? With gentleness in his voice, he continued, “I was bestowed this position by my father who was installed by his father and so on down through generations. I did not want this position, but for family honor, I accepted this responsibility over 40 years ago. It has been most difficult to know the hearts of these men who I have installed. I have brought shame on my family at times when the chosen ruler has heaped burden upon the backs of my people. Greed and pride have been a motive of some. Yet I have rejoiced over those that have ruled fairly with my common people. But until now, Elder Dalton, there has been no direction or pattern as you have taught me for seeing the heart of a Chief, beforehand. This will be my guide when I choose again.” He continued, “My father was a good man who lived in the Chief’s palace and advised him on issues. His name was also Benjamin as this king’s name and I know his heart was as King Benjamin’s of old.” “My brother, with all of your authority you mentioned, you recognize that you still have not been baptized for remission of sins and for an outward sign of your inward feelings. Will you be baptized by one holding the proper authority from God, even making a lifelong covenant to serve your God by serving your fellowman?” “I will, I will, and my family must hear this good news, too.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment