Sunday, July 8, 2012

...and to you I command to forgive all...


Recently I visited a Branch Relief Society meeting where a wonderful lesson was given about Visiting Teaching blessings. During the lesson there was a lively debate between two sisters who have had their differences over several years. They revealed must anger and dislike for each other as the conversation elevated to a time I stood and suggested to them to repent and forgive each other for perceived wrongs committed over 20 years ago when they were young. Over the last several weeks, Sister Dalton and I have visited with these sisters in their homes and have heard their accusations towards each other. It is a deadly venom that cankers the soul. We have knelt and prayed with them and invited the Spirit to soften their hearts. Sunday we witnessed a mighty change in their countenance as they once again sat in at opposite sides of the chapel. One sister has a new baby who was fussy and also a 1 ½ year old she seemed to be wrestling throughout the meeting. From across the room, the other sister who was involved with this incident weeks ago, arose and walked over to the struggling woman and gently gathered the toddler into her arms and standing at the back of the chapel, caressed him close until he had settled down, relaxed and fell sleeping in her arms. The whole congregation stopped and watched as this act of kindness was extended to a believed arch rival that would never change. I was most impressed she took hold of her own forgiveness power that is within each of us. It reminded me of my own life changing moment when given a forgiving moment opportunity. I share this with you that you too may be captain of a forgiving heart and rest with a clear feeling of love for all.
 While here on my mission, I have not heard from my father. I continually pray for his welfare and protection. He is sometimes like a ghost who will visit or contact me through some medium when he is ready. In my own thoughts, I liken our relationship to the traditions of the Fathers that many of our saints struggle over. The principle of forgiveness, when extended in our lives, brings peace and comfort in a world of stress, temptation and sadness. I would like to share an experience that over many, many years I have reflected upon and recognized that it shaped my life and freed me from the trend of today’s world to never forgive another. When I was 31 yrs. old, Dad had been gone from my life for some 17 years already. His values and lifestyle was not that of mine. He had moved back to Lynnwood to open a RV Consignment lot. He took in RV’s like campers and old trailers and an occasional motorhome and sold them for people and then made a commission for his service. I had pinned up all of my feels for over the 17 years about his leaving our family so abruptly and finally that fateful Saturday morning. I called him and asked if I could set with him and just talk, without distraction from customers or phone calls. He was a bit hesitant but gave me an exact time to show up at this lot. My heart pounded with some anger, disappointment and feeling robbed by his actions towards me when I was 14, as I set with my earthly father who had been gone for so many years. I don’t remember all of the things I said and I’m sure I said some cruel things I felt I knew of the circumstances why he left the family and particularly me, his first born. He was silent for the 10 or 15 minutes I let out my venom. Tears streamed down my cheeks most of the conversation as well as his emotions were visible too. He uttered not a word- but listened and felt intensely to my honest and heartfelt words. When I had finished, his tears had stained his shirt as mine had run freely also for the several minutes. We stood and gazed into each other’s tear filled eyes and after a brief silence, embraced as father and son once again as we had done over 20 years before. He then spoke these words that I have always remembered, “you are exactly right son, I was filled with pride and was selfishness for only my wants and desires. I am sorry for my actions and would only ask for your forgiveness. I cannot change the past or my choices from the past, but I hope we can do better from this time forward.” A tremendous peace and relief came over me and I felt we both had unloaded our burdens of blaming others, wrong choices and now could move forward with a father and son forgiving relationship.
Over the years, Dad has done his “thing” and his values are not the same as mine, even today, yet we love each other and I have tried to stay close to him during his adventures. Yes, his continued choices have caused him to be a lone man at times with really no family as part of his life. That still saddens me for in the winter of his life, he should have great happiness and joy in his posterity, his grandchildren and great grandchildren. He has no wonderful experiences or memories to cause him joy in his quite times when left alone to ponder his inter most thoughts. That would be so depressing to me and I have tried, as feeble as it may seem, to not let that happen to me or my family whom I love with all of my heart. He is still a vagabond of sorts, and I worry every day that he will pass on without anyone by his side or anyone knowing of his whereabouts. It scares me to see him this way, still.

No comments:

Post a Comment