Monday, October 1, 2012

...she is a tree of life....


Have you ever thought what it would be like to live to be 116 years old? I sat with a “wonder woman” who was born in 1896 here in Ghana. Her life has been spent right here in Abomosu. She outlived 3 husbands and 34 offspring. She stills will make her way to the family farm occasionally but leaves the work to the grandsons. But today she sat a spell and I tried my best to understand her Twi language. Though her legs are weak and her bones are brittle, we have seen her several times in the market and know she still ventures out most days. We had heard of her a number of months ago when Sister Dalton was helping Brother Agyei with his family history. He mentioned that his great-grandmother was still living in the town. He verified the correct date of her birth as it was passed down from generation to generation, he being the oldest great- grandson at 63. I have wanted to visit this woman, but just today, though I had no time, sat with Stella and listen intently to her speak of the days adventure. I asked for a keepsake picture and she was gracious enough to grant me the privilege. What an experience for me to set with a woman of such strength and persistence. I’m glad the occasion came into my life. I was greatly blessed for the few minutes we shared spirit to spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment