Monday, December 17, 2012

...with unwearyingness declared the word...


As he stood to bear testimony, I could see his structure strong and true. He was a missionary who had dedicated his time and talents to the work of the Lord. He was clean and pure and a chosen vessel of the Master. Exacting in his efforts and with purpose he serves faithfully with his companion. Humble to follow the spirit yet hungry to seek for those prepared by Him. A true example to us all and a witness of the transformation one must make to serve with power in the vineyard. He has served in 3 areas before coming to the bush. His first area was without water or roof for some time and he and Elder Edward would travel an hour every day on Trotro to reach their area. No complaint was heard by either elder- just hard daily work for the Lord. When the Promised Land was reached and their apartment was completed, they were driven out of the area by threats of killing by extremist Muslims for an offence they had not committed, but word spread and soon members were convinced action must be taken towards these beloved missionaries. They were swept to safety one late night under the shroud of darkness before the procedures were carried out. Through all of the challenges, Elder Ikoro was faithful and obedient to the Lord’s will and served with honor and dignity for the One he loves with all of his heart.
“When I was taught the gospel by missionaries, I knew it was true and I knew I must follow its teachings. I was baptized and felt a burning within my heart, that very day. That burning still is within and I love the Lord and his mercies. I was banned from my family and they consider me dead. I slept on the streets of Nigeria and made my way though the last 6 years, mostly alone. But as my heart burned, I knew never was I alone for my new found God was with me and comforted me in ways that I needed. I finish secondary schooling with great hardship for no one was there to help with the monies required. I became a teacher and taught as I had been trained by my priesthood and Sunday school teacher- with love and compassion for all children. It was a joy to go to school and see the faces of so many keen to learn. I was strengthened and felt I must serve mission for the Lord. I prayed each day to be worthy and to have the funds to serve a mission. My brother witnessed the change in my life and followed my example, and became a member of the Church, too. He also was considered dead to our family. We roomed together and read the Word of God each day together. A covenant was made between us and I am here today because of my brother who is working for my support. I will return and work for his support as he serves a mission also. What does the Church mean to me? I tell you I have given all of my life for this truth. Have you given all of your life for this Church and its teachings? If not, my brothers and sisters, you have failed the Lord and it is He who has given his life for each us to live with the Father one day. I know my Savior loves me and I love him with every fiber of my being. May you let Him into your heart and feel the glow of the Spirit, for it is sweet as Nephi witnessed.” And with that powerful testimony, he took his seat next to his companion. Not a sound was heard but a most wonderful feeling filled our hearts. I shall never forget the power of a humble testimony and the sweetness it is in ones being.    

No comments:

Post a Comment