Sunday, September 25, 2011

...he break bread and blessed it...

As I partook of Sacrament meeting today, my mind wandered as if to be taken to another place and time where I was in my young teenage years. Many faces around me brought back memories of sacred times attending like services. In my mind’s eye, I saw the faces of friends long gone to the world beyond and faces of past leaders who sheltered me from the worldly influences. We were all in a humble Sacrament meeting, as we were today. The speaker was a long departed brother who was an influence for good in my life. He was bearing testimony of prayer in his life and the truth that we can all have our prayers answered by Father in Heaven. I felt the Holy Ghost in my heart and knew in my mind I was not here alone. Those same stirrings and spiritual witness affected my soul today as I partook of the sacramental prayer. I looked around my setting, now in Abomosu, Ghana, and thought of the thousands of sacrament meetings that were taking place right at that moment, and how the Spirit was witnessing to all those that had prepared themselves to the truthfulness of the magnificent words offered over the emblems of His body and blood. I pondered on the setting of this eternal witness, and my setting here in Africa along with those of my past and others from around Fathers footstool. I had watched as five older men had shuffled into the chapel just before the beginning of the meeting. They were weathered from hard work on their farms, weathered from life’s relentless storms, they had endured. From life’s physical challenges that besiege us all after the fall and from living experiences that has meted out justice and mercy. They are pioneers who helped to establish the Church in Ghana. Yet their eyes gleamed with humble thanksgiving as they gently partook of the bread and water of life. Most had lost their wives over the years and are now enduring to the end for a place by their side in the heavens. My eyes looked to their spot and saw their heads nod as if to say, “I know the words of this ordnance are true and I have tested them in my life every day.” I watched the 4 young men reverently and in a sacred manner pass the emblems of our Savior, row after row. They were dressed in white shirts, hand tied neckties, and clean long pants, held up with a belt that wrapped around their waist twice because of the size; two of the four where shoeless. Not a word was spoken from the attendees, only quite inner reflection. My eyes passed over the sisters with colorful dresses and head scarfs covering their black hair; heads bowed in earnest humble prayer, their dresses hand sewn for such occasions of reverence and worship. Once again I marveled at the sacred nature of my setting and thanked God for this witness of his everlasting love for these humble people of the bush. A baby lying on her mother’s back, asleep, and wrapped tightly with love, as mother leaned forward with the comfort of the load. A young woman holding her younger brothers hand through the service to give that security of family and guidance; my eyes glanced into the eyes of a cripple man who conveyed his love for the ordinance he was a part of, today. His legs twisted and bent from birth, but through the help of a pole he uses for support, he attends every Sunday to receive the cleansing power of the Lord’s sacrament. I looked at Sister Dalton, who had head bowed and in deep thought of the moment. Was it just I who was seeing these witnesses of Christ in our service, I thought. Her head turned and I saw the tears in her eyes as she gently squeezed my hand.
I sense the strains of the world upon these faithful members, but witness the comfort and peaceful continence of my brothers and sisters here that attended our worship meeting today. How can God distill such tender mercies upon us all throughout the world in our services? Because he is God and His love is for all of his sons and daughters that live on his footstool. Our only duty is to come to this sacred gathering with a broken heart and contrite spirit to let Him in and wash our souls. I felt the Balm of Gideon and the soothing cleansing of the Saviors love today, as I set with angels.  
                

No comments:

Post a Comment