Monday, September 12, 2011

...walking in His ways ....

Seth Oppong
Age: 38
Married to: Evelyn Agyeiwaa Oppong
3 children: Lawrencia, Tricia, Benedicta
Returned Missionary: Nigeria
Farmer, Taxi driver, World Joy Coordinator, Abomosu District President, Humble Man of God
                “There was a “Obruni” who came to my friend’s house one day and he had a glow about him. He wrestled with us and played with us with our football. My friend said they were preachers from the Latter-day Saint church. He took me to church that next Sunday and it was so good to be there. I told my father who quickly told me I would not go to that church ever again. I ran from home and cried because of what my father had said. Each Sunday thereafter my father would wake be at 4AM and insist I go to farm and work through the day so I would not go to that church. I hated him for his ways. At 8 years old I attended my friends’ baptism. The “Obruni” took my friend into a river and put him down into the water. I wanted to be there too. I felt the same feeling I did 2 years earlier when I went to church with my friend. I begged my father that night that I could join the Latter-day Saint church and he cained me and commanded me never to speak of it again. I still have marks from that caining on my body today. At nine years old I would put a clean shirt in a small black bag and hang it in a tree on my way to the farm early Sunday mornings before my father got up and went to the farm. At 10AM I would tell my father I would go and get water in the village for him and would be back by noon with his lunch and fresh water, he always liked that, and was pleased I was a good boy for him. I would run with all of my might to where I had hung the little black bag with a clean shirt. Change and run to the church where my friend was waiting for me. I loved the primary songs and the teachers were so kind. I did not know what kindness was from men. There was a senior man who always had a piece of candy for me and gave me a firm handshake and said “you will someday be a fine missionary for the church”. I loved that man and his kindness to this ragged little boy. Just before primary was over I would run to the river and fill a small bucket, pick oranges from another farmers trees and quickly change back into the farm clothes and run with all of my might back to the farm where father would be ready for his meal and cool drink. I did this for a number of times over the next 4 years and then confronted my father again about becoming a member of the Latter-day Saints congregation. I was stronger and determined to defend myself if I needed to for I had known the feeling of God the first time I saw the “Obruni” when I was 6 years old. The feeling was still in my soul at 16 and I was going to be baptized with or without my father’s consent. He denied my request and I ran to our farm and cried unto the Lord for his help and comfort.
                My final school year I turned 20 and it was my last year at High school and I was very well known throughout the region as an excellent footballer with potential to go to greater schools that wanted my talents. It was during that last year of schooling, away from home, I found two missionaries who came to our school and I told them I wanted to be baptized into their church. They arranged to teach me the lessons and I said let’s start now, I will forgo schooling to be a member of the Latter-day Saints church. April 19th 1992 I was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. What can I say but the Lord has blessed me beyond my dreams! He knows me and loves me too!” (at this point tears where streaming down his cheeks and the spirit bore witness of his love for Father in Heaven)
“I wanted to go on a mission to show God I was committed with all of my heart and soul to always love Him. I worked with my machete as a hired hand for farmers clearing the brush from their farms. I worked all day and into the night so I could earn the money for my mission. Football was something that would need to wait, I was preparing for a mission for God. I earned all of the needed money working sometimes days straight through. I praised the Lords help and for giving me strength. He sustained me over 2 years while a birth certificate was issued, the cost of a passport, the cost of clothing as well as a leather bound set of scriptures I hold before you this day. These are so precious to me and I testify they will bring you the greatest joy found here on earth. The day came and I was called by the Lord’s holy prophet to serve in Nigeria for 2 years and it was truly a call I had prayed for since I had attended those primary meetings when I was 9 years old. Oh, how the Father knows our names and loves us all.” Seth Oppong
                The story above was a "tender mercy" moment during a district meeting. I witnessed this humble man’s testimony of who guides the growth of the church in the Abomosu District, and how through small and simple things the work moves along under the watchful eye of the Savior. Seth Oppong is well known throughout the region because of his love for all people and his vision for the church members. He has served as branch president, served as a counselor to 2 previous District Presidents, a teacher of church government, and he is an example of the power and authority of the priesthood in his leadership hands. Farmer, taxi driver, World Joy coordinator, Abomosu District President, humble man of God, and my friend forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment